I have a question regarding the efgr value. The efgr

Question
I have a question regarding the efgr value. The efgr was 38.9 before the radical renal nephrectomy. Should that be half ( 19) after the surgery due to the fact that the patient has only one kidney?
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. No, eGFR would not become half after nephrectomy. When one of the kidneys is removed, the other kidney compensates and bears the load. This test measures the level of creatinine in the blood and uses the result in a formula to calculate a number that reflects how well the kidneys are functioning based on your age, body size and gender, and is called the estimated GFR or eGFR. Nephrectomy (involving one kidney) will not double the creatinine level and therefore would not make eGFR half.

Let me know if I could help further.