I have a pea size lump right under my middle

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019
Question: I have a pea size lump right under my middle finger just below the joint on the palm. It is painful and I am having trouble bending my middle and ring fingers. I have tried massaging it and stretching out my fingers both are painful to do. I have had this noticeably for a about 6 months now and the pain is getting worse. What could this be and what should I do? Is there a way for this to be a one dr visit fix?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (5 minutes later)
Would urgent care be a good place to get this fixed?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:

Without being able to see the nodule you are describing, I can say it's possible that this is a Dupuytren's contracture, which can form nodules in the palm of the hand and be painful. An urgent care clinic might be able to give an injection with a corticosteroid to lessen the inflammation and pain, but that is not definitive treatment. If you choose to do that, be sure the urgent care clinic is staffed with physicians who know how to do this (some have PAs and NPs).

However, I doubt this will be a one doctor visit fix - you may need to see your primary care doctor and then be referred to an orthopedic doctor, depending on what it is.

It may also be a small cyst which can occur in a tendon sheath, and these can become painful too.

So, I would say these are your choices:
1. Go to urgent care for temporary pain relief, and if there is a qualified doctor, they can also sort out what the nodule is.
2. Wait to see your primary care doctor for diagnosis and possible referral to orthopedics if necessary.
3. Go to orthopedics, although this would be overkill if it is a cyst.

Can I provide further information?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3134 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

196 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
I have a pea size lump right under my middle

Would urgent care be a good place to get this fixed?