Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
147 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

I have a pain in my chest that is worse

Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3343 Questions

Posted on Sat, 30 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a pain in my chest that is worse when I swallow something like drinking water - feels like heartburn but in a particular place like a lump.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

The most common reason for heartburn and "lumpy" sensation while drinking fluid is GERD. But there are other causes too - both systemic and gastrointestinal pathologies. At this point, I would treat you with a proton pump inhibitor + prokinetic agent (like esomeprazole and levosulpride) for a period of 2-3 weeks. These are prescription drugs; your doctors will know about it. If symptoms doesn't resolve, you need to be evaluated further - blood counts, liver function tests and endoscopy + ultrasound scan are necessary.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on