I have a lump near the middle of my tongue

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a lump near the middle of my tongue that has come on rather abruptly. There is a very small break in the skin above the lump. There is no other evidence of leokplakia or discoloration -just a lump beneath the surface without anything other than a very small break in the skin. I don't recall biting or trauma.and the tongue is otherwise normal. I quit smoking 22 years ago and used to drink alot of alcohol 15 years ago but don't now. Could cancer be subdermal without other signs? I have had 2 squamous cell skin cancers on my scalp. The last occurred in August and was very small and removed with MOHS. The other was removed 8 years ago. No lymph node swelling or pain. The lump fells like 1/2 a pea.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. yes it can be malignant

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details.
So, as you said , you have quit smoking and alcohol long back, it tend to reduce the risk of developing cancer. However, risk never comes back to zero. If there is a definite lump on clinical examination with a breach in the skin, it can be a malignant lesion. Appropriate will be to get a needle aspiration biopsy done and to confirm it.
Smaller the lesion, more chances of complete cure.
Thanks and regards
feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy