question-icon

I have a lot of throat phlegm which causes me

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018
Question: I have a lot of throat phlegm which causes me to clear my throat/cough throughout the day. No throat pain. I'm a smoker (cigars 2-3 per day). Had a cold which lasted a while (1.5 weeks) which is when the phlegm problem started, but now I just have phlegm. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Monish De (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Drink plenty of water

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The cause of your phlegm is due to seasonal allergic reaction

Allergy causes release of a chemical call histamine in the body which may produce excess phlegm in your throat.

I would advise you to drink plenty of water as liquifies the sticky phlegm and causes it to wash it away from throat

Dr Monish De
Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist