I have a heart attack last week, and a angioplasty

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a heart attack last week, and a angioplasty was done to me, im 60 years, male, i have a teeth decay that needs to extracted asap coz its bleeding most of the time and a double hernia and my heart doctor advices me to have a quadrupple bypass asap, my question is can i have these teeth and hernia problem done first before undergoing bypass? Im a type 2 diabetic also, another thing can i prefer angioplasty done instead of quadruple bypass?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on -Ask a Doctor- service!

I passed carefully through your recent medical history and would like to explain that in a patient suffering from multiple coronary arteries disease both of the revascularisation techniques (percutaneous angioplasty and bypass) could be a treating option.

But, as you are still in the middle age and are suffering also form diabetes, surgical alternative (coronary artery bypass) seems to offer in general a more sustainable alternative.

Anyway, when judging the right choice several factors need to be considered: the severity of cardiac function impairment, the presence of comorbidities, like pulmonary, renal, cerebral, etc. dysfunctions, local medical expertise, etc.

You have to discuss with your attending cardiologist on the above mentioned issues in order to review all the issues that could influence on the safety of each treatment alternative.

Regarding the time (whether before or after bypass) to treat teeth problem and hernia, I could explain that in case you are actually free of chest angina and other cardiovascular symptomatology, you may go ahead and resolve you dental issues.

While for the hernia problem, I would recommend to wait until the coronary disease is resolved with the appropriate revascularisation procedure.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri