I have a friend that has type 2 diabetes .

Endocrinologist
Question
I have a friend that has type 2 diabetes. He is overweight. He has also had his brain operated on to remove a foreign matter. His right hand and wrist are quite swollen which severely limits what he can do. Any thoughts as to what is might be? He is on SSI, has doctors whom have done a little testing. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Wed, 31 Jan 2018 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About your friend symptoms:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your friends health.
From your description i think it is an infection of the soft tissue of the hand that needs antibiotic treatment.
Diabetic patients are more prone to infections and when installed the infection is much difficult to be treated if the glucose levels persists high.
So, he should try to maintain normal blood sugar (70-110 mg/dl fasting and up to 140 mg/dl postprandial) and start treatment with antibiotics for the hand, of course if his physician confirms that it is an infection.
Of course a detailed clinical examination and some blood tests to confirm the infection.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta