I have a 7 days old girl. She has been
Neonatal sleep myoclonus, a benign condition, to consider.
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service.
I have read your query and here is my explanation.
Since the involuntary leg movements (jerks) of your baby are happening only during the sleep, the most likely condition is sleep myoclonus.
Infantile spasm and seizures may happen at any time of the day, night, awake or asleep.
Neonatal sleep myoclonus is considered a benign condition that requires no treatment and should subside with time.
If these involuntary movements, jerks, happen during the wakefulness you should refer these problems to the Pediatrician.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?