question-icon

I Have SLE Diagnosed In 2001. I Also Have Overlapping

Posted on Sun, 30 Sep 2018
Question: I have SLE diagnosed in 2001. I also have overlapping populists, raynauds phenomena, Sjogrens, puss w/crest syndrome variable. I also have IBS with constipation. I also have Hashimotos- low thyroid. I say all this to say I have been taking Predisone for 2 and one half months can the long term use of taking the drug be starting yet?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi
So you have been on Prednisone.
Are you asking me if the side effects with chronic use are starting now?
Yes once you have been on steroids for more than 4 weeks, that is the case.
I suggest that some steroid-sparing medications like immunosuppressants like hydroxychloroquine may be started along with the current medicines so that the dosage of prednisone.
side effects of prednisone can be reduced by taking the drug in the morning and taking a supplement for calcium and vitamin d.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist