question-icon

I have LOW Blood Platelets , 111000 I would like

Posted on Sat, 30 Mar 2019
Question: I have LOW Blood Platelets, 111000 I would like to know if the only Prescription I take is Prednisone just 1 Gram could that cause my Blood Platelets to go low??
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Prednisone

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

The use of prednisone may cause platelet count disorder - low platelet count.

You may consult your doctor about the prednisone dosage.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera (5 hours later)
I have heard thru research the some Patients were Taking 60 to 100 grams Prednisone to Stop the lost of Platelets because Prednesone is a Steroid. They did not indicate that it would CAUSE Blood Platelets to Diminish. Is there any Prescription to INCREASE Platelets?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera (13 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Prednisone

Detailed Answer:
The prednisone may be given for thrombocitopenia

In some cases the use of the medication provides side efecte such as lowering the number of platelets.
Lean meats such as fish, chicken and turkey are rich in protein, zinc and Vitamin B12, all of which help increase the blood platelet count. Beans contain Vitamin B9 or folate which greatly helps boost the blood platelet count. Some other foods rich in B9 are spinach, asparagus, and oranges
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist