question-icon

I had significant hearing loss after extreme loud noise in

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019
Question: I had significant hearing loss after extreme loud noise in a small room, but waited 30 days to see doctor. To what degree did my delay contribute to appears to be permanent hearing loss.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
it plays a role in recovery

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Unfortunately a delay in treatment can have an effect.

There are different types of hearing loss, the most common is called sensorineural hearing loss where the hearing loss is related to damage to the inner ear.

A medical study conducted and published in 2015 in the Journey of International Otology by Edizer DT, stated that certain factors can cause a poor outcome, these are- (1)profound hearing loss
(2)age greater than 60
(3)delay in treatment of more than 10 days
(4)high blood pressure
In that particular medical study the exact cause of the hearing loss was not known or confirmed for some/most of the persons

Another medical study conducted/published in 2017 in the Journal of Audiology and Otology called Prognostic factors in recovery from Sudden sensorineural hearing loss-- stated that the things that can affect recovery are: - age, time from symptoms to treatment, severity and treatment method---play a role

In both of these the time taken before treatment is considered a factor affecting recovery.
Currently there are no studies stating a particular percent or degree of influence but it is noted as an important factor

Some doctors opt for injection of steroids along with or after the use of oral steroids, to see if this helps, the steroid is injected into an aspect of the ear.

You can consider discussing this option with your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James