Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

I had my son April 2017 and since then have

Answered by
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 8742 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: I had my son April 2017 and since then have cried at almost anything, anything my husband says to me, even sometimes tv adverts. my husband and I relationship is strained at the moment as I recently found out I'm pregnant (12 weeks today, monday) we are away and he has gone to hospital with migraine and vomiting. when he said he didn't want me to go I burst into tears and tries to explain to him he is my husband and I care/love him and want to go with him. I feel worthless and useless most of the time like even breathing is wrong. I can never seem to do anything right. I get so angry sometimes I bite myself on my forearm. iv never told anyone any of that as I am scared I will be seen as an unfit parent and have my kids taken off me. please help me understand why I feel like this, I cant take it much longer.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably the symptoms are related to postpartum depression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

In my opinion your symptoms relate to postpartum depression.

It is a very common condition which happens to many women after giving birth.

I would recommend you to get as much rest as you can.

I also recommend to talk with your husband about your feelings.

It is very important to accept help from family and friends.

I would also suggest to consult a psychologist for therapy. Through the therapy you can find better ways to deal with your feelings.

I recommend you to take care of yourself, eat healthy and connect with others.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 26 hours later
I have told my husband about the diagnosis but he doesn't believe it. I dont no what else to do.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice about how to treat depression are given below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

I recommend trying herbal remedies such as chamomile tea or valerian tea.

I also suggest you to rest, eat healthy and do regular exercise such as joga.

If you don't see any changes I recommend to consult a psychologist to share your thoughts and feelings.

Take care of yourself dear.

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on