I had a sudden feeling of a tight band around

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I had a sudden feeling of a tight band around my head. It lasted less than a minute and I didn't lose consciousness however it has left me feeling anxious. It has happened once before a couple of weeks ago and last time I felt like I was going to pass out. My iron levels are normal, I don't smoke or drink however I am overweight.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycaemia or hypotension may be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I think you need to do further examinations like blood chemistry and sugar levels.
I suppose it may be caused by hypoglycaemia. You need to do fasting glucose levels, post prandial glucose levels and HbA1c.
I also wanted to know if you are suffering from diabetes or do you take insulin injections?
Also you should do an ECG and measure the blood pressure for a week twice daily.
because another possibility is that these symptoms come from heart disease or hypotension.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 21 minutes later
Thanks, I don't have diabetes but when I had my most recent fasting blood test they said my sugar level was elevated. The first time it happened I was just sitting reading late at night, the episode tonight was after dinner and I was just buzzing around cleaning up.
Brief Answer:
Reactive hypoglycaemia suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, thank you for asking again.
I think you are having reactive hypoglycaemia that it is caused four hours after eating. Sugar levels usually are normal but elevated after eating causing damage glucose tolerance.
It doesn't require treatment.
You only have to pay attention to your diet eating less sugar meals, add more fiber to your diet and lean meat. Add fruits and vegetables.
Eat meals three hours apart from each other.
Eat three main meals and two snacks.
Best regards.
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 20 hours later
Thanks so much. Is there anything I can do if I feel the pressure or symptoms like before?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eat or drink carbohydrates immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear and thank you for asking again.
If you feel symptoms as before you take a 15 grams of carbohydrates immediately, such orange juice, carbonated soda or honey or sugar. The symptoms will go away in 15 minutes.
After this eat a balanced normal meal.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj