I had a stroke several months ago and also a

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had a stroke several months ago and also a PFO closed in my heart. This condition started shortly after those two events occurred. What could be causing them. The tingling/numbness events happen daily and are increasing in intensity. Last about 15 to 20 minutes each.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to partial epilepsy seizures or repeated TIAs (transient ischemic attacks).

For this reason, I would recommend performing an EEG and a brain MRI in order to investigate for the above mentioned possible causes.

It is also important perfomring a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries, an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring for possible cardiac arrhythmia and some other blood lab tests (blood electrolytes for possible electrolyte imbalance).

In the meantime, it is important continue taking blood thinners and closely monitor your blood pressure values and heart rate during those episodes.

It is also very important continue taking blood thinners, to prevent any future strokes.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist