I had a pilonidal cyst removed about 9 years ago

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a pilonidal cyst removed about 9 years ago and every once in a while, the spot where my scar is, will start to bleed little. Nothing more than a few spots on a towel after I shower or showing up on my underwear after sitting all day. It doesn’t hurt but us a little uncomfortable. I have no fever or any signs of infection either. What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pilonidal sinus

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It seems you have a pilonidal sinus, which is a small hole or tunnel on the top of the bottom crack. This may be a residue of the cyst you had and, unless it gets infected, it is harmless and does not require treatment. You need to keep the are clear (shower regularly) and use lotion to avoid irritation and friction.
If it becomes painful, red and swollen you need to see a doctor for a drainage and antibiotic treatment.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng