I had a colonscopy and Egd today, they only found

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a colonscopy and Egd today, they only found one polyp in my colon, but the lining in my stomach was slick or covered? I have lost 35 lbs in the last 4- 5 months without trying.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi luvpum,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.

The gastric polyp is a bodily reaction to long-standing irritation of stomach lining.(gastritis may be due to infection, oesophagal or duodenal regurgitation or bad eating habits).. which has been thinned out over the time. And one such polyp has been found in your endoscopy with egd. All of this was with fast weight loss making you worried.
1. Such weight loss can be due to-
-Hampered food digestion following gastritis &slicked stomach lining causing undernutrition &weight loss./bleeding from damaged mucosa(which you probably did not have... as not mentioned so)
-The polyp is at the lower end of stomach & blocks the lower end to obliterate food entry in duodenum .. this causing lack of digestion & loss of weight.
- The polyp may get cancerous changes. (which is very rare in gastric polyps & immediately confirmed through biopsy was taken during the procedure &removed.)
2. Management of polyp depends on the biopsy report &site, size of the polyp.
Finding the cause of gastritis &treat the cause is to be accompanied with polyp management.
*Please keep courage &wait for the biopsy report.
Follow the instructions given &medication advised (antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors may be continued or stopped depending on the basic cause your doctor thinks of )with diet instructions.
*Once biopsy report is available the treating expert would either plan for removal or polyp or repair gastric reflux of bile in the stomach or treat the infection with a specific antibiotic course.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.e.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy