I got blood work because my hair is falling off

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2019 in Blood Disorders
Question: I got blood work because my hair is falling off a lot. That I am afraid to brush my hair. My thyroid was checked and it’s came back normal. But my globulin is 3.9. My creatinine is .44. My RBC is at 5.66. My MCH is at 26.1. My MCHC is at 31.6.

Any help or advice would be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hb and MCV values required for further evaluation. Hair fall causes-dandruff, nutritional def, stress

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on 'Ask A Doctor' service.

Hair fall can occur due to various reasons.
To enumerate a few, hair fall can occur due to dandruff, nutritional deficiency, lack of sleep and stress are the major causes.

So, I would suggest you have a dandruff check.
In case you are suffering from dandruff, I would suggest you get dandruff treated.
Nutritional deficiencies include iron deficiency, lack of balanced diet, reduced fluid intake and lack of enough protein.

I would suggest you consult your dermatologist and/or nutritionist to check your diet and to improve diet in case any deficiency exists.

Lack of sleep and stress can also cause rapid hair loss.
Thus, a healthy lifestyle and a healthy diet will help to reduce hair fall.

Your laboratory results show a normal creatinine and red blood cell count.

MCH and MCHC are in the lower range so I would like to know the values of haemoglobin (Hb), hematocrit (Hct) and MCV also for further comment.
Globulin needs to be correlated with total protein and albumin.

Kindly, let me know the above parameters for full interpretation - Hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, total protein and albumin so that I can assist you further.

Thanks
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee