I get stressed on occasion and my blood pressure goes

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I get stressed on occasion and my blood pressure goes up .. I will take 1/4 or tablet of 25 mg of attenenol and it will lower my blood pressure.. the next day my blood pressure is back low and will remain that way for several days until I get stressed again.. sometimes I can go for weeks with low blood pressure until a life situation brings it back up again .. is it harmful to have blood pressure that fluctuates like this? Is is fine to take this low dosage every once in a while? Thanks! If I take it all the time it tends to drop too much.. also I always seem to have a higher pulse rate can that be harmful..80-90 I exercise everyday
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 0 minute later
I get stressed on occasion and my blood pressure goes up .. I will take 1/4 or tablet of 25 mg of attenenol and it will lower my blood pressure.. the next day my blood pressure is back low and will remain that way for several days until I get stressed again.. sometimes I can go for weeks with low blood pressure until a life situation brings it back up again .. is it harmful to have blood pressure that fluctuates like this? Is is fine to take this low dosage every once in a while? Thanks! If I take it all the time it tends to drop too much.. also I always seem to have a higher pulse rate can that be harmful..80-90 I exercise everyday
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that these blood pressure fluctuations are quite normal during anxiety and physical activity.

They do not cause any harm to the heart.

The same is for the heart rate, which is quite normal to increase while performing physical activity.

Anyway, I would recommend trying to increase salt intake and fluids intake during the periods of low blood pressure.

Such low dose of Atenolol does not have any implications on blood pressure values. Its effects may last up to 12 hours.

You should know that Atenolol main action is on the heart rate and on anxiety (it help calm anxiety).

So, feel free to use it in such cases.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

So, feel free to use it in such cases.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 hours later
You are the kindest!! Thanks for all your helpful advice! You the best!
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
So since I know it is just anxiety and my bloodbpressure will go back down .. should I just wait it out and do breathing exercises or should I take meds to speed the process and make me feel more relaxed..is this amount of meds have lots of side effects? Thanks again doctor.. you are the best!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I agree with you on the fact that you should first try meditation and some deep breathing to help calm your anxiety.

If your high blood pressure values do not go down, then you can continue to take low dose of atenolol, as you are taking now.

Such small dose of atenolol is quite safe and does not have any long term adverse effects in your body or heart.

I would also recommend practicing Yoga, as it is a natural relief against anxiety.

It is also important reducing salt and caffeine intake, which can increase blood pressure values.

Other natural ways to lower blood pressure values are garlic or lemon juice. You should try them during those episodes.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions in the future, please don't hesitate to ask me directly at any time!

I would be glad to answer to all of your questions!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri