I get regular stomach enlargement feeling on the left side.

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I get regular stomach enlargement feeling on the left side. What could be the issue
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be colitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It could just be bloating due to inflamed intestines called colitis. Otherwise there could be enlarged spleen, mechanical obstruction of bowels, etc.
If its bothering, then its worthwhile to get an ultrasound abdomen and barium studies of intestines.

You can revert back with details of your symptoms and reports, so that I am better able to help.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 days later
Why does this happen ? Causes ? Is this an alarming issue ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its not alarming as such

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

If it is not accompanied by other symptoms like pain in abdomen, vomiting, severe constipation, it is not alarming.

Causes could be many and include both surgical and non-surgical causes. List could include malabsorption, splenomegaly, some infection of intestine, obstruction of the intestine, etc.
Further examination and atleast USG abdomen is needed. You can see a surgeon for this.

You can drink cleaner water to ensure that infection does not happen. Avoid juices that can worsen diarhea. You can also exclude milk, egg, gluten one by one for atleast 2-3 weeks and observe if there is improvement in symptoms.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng