I gave my 12 year old 50 ml of amoxicillin

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I gave my 12 year old 50 ml of amoxicillin today instead of 18ml. Will this harm her. She has strep throat bad and fever.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She took almost 3 times the dose

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I am assuming the child's weight is around 40 kg. Kindly let me know the constitution of the syrup as per mg/ml of medicine.

If she has been prescribed 18 ml but took 50 ml, then I would give the next dose after 24 hours. I will expect most of the medicine to excrete in 24 hrs. Give her more fluids to eliminate faster.
The side effects can be expected of gastro-intestinal problems and sedation, headache etc. If any symptom appears weird or intolerable then emergency help will be needed. Ideally I will like to vomit out the medicine within 4 hrs of intake and take next dose after 24 hrs only. Can take doctor's help in vomiting if 4 hrs have not elapsed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj