I fell from my horse 13 months ago. Suffered a

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: I fell from my horse 13 months ago. Suffered a compression fracture of the upper back and cracked two vertebrae in the lower back. I would consider the recovery process normal, no problems walking, lifting, etc. My concern is I still have bruising appear across my spine every few weeks. The bruising occurs if I lift something heavy, 50 pounds or more. I have had it checked by my PCP and she didn't know why it is happening, and has never seen anything like it before. The bruising is honeycombed and a very deep red/purple. When the bruising occurs my back feels fatigued and I lay down on a heating pad and that helps with the fatigue but not the bruising. I would like to know what is causing it and if I should be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It may be bleeding in the soft tissue.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor " service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

I saw the picture you uploaded and my opinion is that there may be intermittent small bleeding in the soft tissues as you lift weights.

This may happen due to rupture of small vessels that supply the muscles, tendons or skin of your back, or the bleeding may arise from the damaged vertebrae as well.

It is necessary to avoid heavy weights because intermittent bleeding may result in scar tissue or hematoma in that area, and examinations such ultrasound of the area and MRI may be necessary to understand better the condition.

Discuss with a spine Specialist for these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng