I fell from my horse 13 months ago. Suffered a

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: I fell from my horse 13 months ago. Suffered a compression fracture of the upper back and cracked two vertebrae in the lower back. I would consider the recovery process normal, no problems walking, lifting, etc. My concern is I still have bruising appear across my spine every few weeks. The bruising occurs if I lift something heavy, 50 pounds or more. I have had it checked by my PCP and she didn't know why it is happening, and has never seen anything like it before. The bruising is honeycombed and a very deep red/purple. When the bruising occurs my back feels fatigued and I lay down on a heating pad and that helps with the fatigue but not the bruising. I would like to know what is causing it and if I should be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggests an internal bleeding.

Detailed Answer:

The appearance of bruising on lifting a heavyweight is suggestive of an internal bleeding in the area. It suggests an injury to the soft tissues around that area. You need to avoid lifting any weights and can get an MRI scan done to find out if there is any persistent tear in the ligaments.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee