I fell cross-country skiing and hit hard on my tailbone.
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Still cross-country skiing at 79 years old? That's very impressive. At your age we certainly do think about fractures, especially hip fractures, after a fall. However, usually if there was a hip fracture you would not be able to easily walk. Fractures to the tailbone are also possible but less likely and usually these injuries can heal with conservative (non-surgical) treatment.
Unless you really want to find out if there is a fracture right away, I think it would be reasonable to wait about a week and see if it is getting better on its own. You can take pain medications like Tylenol (and possibly anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen, but at your age I would be cautious with these as they can have serious side effects). Also using a cushion or donut when you sit can help with the pain. If after a week the pain is still significant and not getting much better, then I would say it would be reasonable to see your doctor about getting an x-ray to look for a fracture.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining