I don’t sleep well....was diagnosed with sleep apnea years ago

Question
I don’t sleep well....was diagnosed with sleep apnea years ago but since I care for my husband, I have never done anything for it but now that he’s pretty much at end of his life and sleeps in another room, I find myself waking more often gasping sometimes for breath and now my throat seems to not only be sore all the time but it awakens me with like someone is talking, and I can’t get it to stop....I’ve pretty much researched and I’m thinking it might be strider? Or something like Catarina, I’m not sure. Do u think it’s important enough to be treated? I cannot afford to be sick rt now as my husband is 81 and needs my care. Understand?
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Positive pressure airway device

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but since you have been diagnosed wth sleep apnea, then it is recommended that you stay away from alcohol and smoking..it is also recommended that you try to lose some weight if you are overweight, however in the meanwhile you should visit your doctor to prescribe a positive air way pressure device to help regulate your breathing during sleep.. There are several types of positive airway pressure devices that can be used at home including Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) which will best suit you If you have moderate to severe sleep apnea, it is a device that delivers air pressure through a mask placed over your nose while you sleep. With CPAP (SEE-pap), the air pressure is somewhat greater than that of the surrounding air, and is just enough to keep your upper airway passages open, preventing apnea and snoring.. But you may need to try more than one type of mask to find one that's comfortable and the pressure settings of the CPAP machine may need to be adjusted several times until you find the pressure that is best suited for you.. Also some people benefit from also using a humidifier along with their CPAP systems.

Other airway pressure devices include automatic positive pressure airway device which unlike the CPAP , it automatically adjusts the pressure while you're sleeping (Auto-CPAP). Units that supply bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP) are also available. These provide more pressure when you inhale and less when you exhale.
I hope you find this helpful..