I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
Aloe Ferox is possibly unsafe during pregnancy.
Hello, thank you for using 'Ask a Doctor'. Your question is a good one as it's always a good idea to make sure any medications, including herbal or non-prescription medications, are safe during pregnancy. For pregnancy, there is a warning for aloe products, such as Aloe ferox, during pregnancy, including a report that aloe was associated with miscarriage and could also be a risk for birth defects. For these reasons, I would recommend you avoid these products if you are planning on getting pregnant.
I'm not sure of your history with constipation, so you may already know most of this, but in addition to increasing fiber in your diet and drinking plenty of fluids, you can use medications such as magnesium hydroxide, lactulose, or bisacodyl safely during pregnancy. Castor oil can stimulate uterine contractions and mineral oil can cause vitamin deficiencies, so those are best avoided. Your doctor should be able to help guide you with your treatment if you continue to have persistent constipation during pregnancy.
I hope that answers your question, but please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining