I caught the Flu last Monday and I keep coughing

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I caught the Flu last Monday and I keep coughing up mucus most of it is clear. i can't laugh without coughing and I feel like my upper chest is not clear. Deep breathing often causes my to cough.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it may take a while, a bit longer perhaps...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

Your symptoms are quite likely due to congestion secondary to the flu only...If there is any fever, pain/aches, you should take Acetaminophen/Tylenol 650mg three times daily after some food for the next few days...

-Start doing Chlorhexidine gargle twice daily and lukewarm saline gargle twice daily in an alternate fashion...avoid going to any overcrowded places, for the time being, perhaps use a face mask while going out...

-Take some steam inhalation thrice daily, it'll help to ease the associated symptoms to some extent and clear the secretions/drainage...

-Avoid any form of cold-drinks, dairy products and sour foods as they can further aggravate this situation...

-Please drink a lot of fluids. Have plenty of warm liquids (soups, broth, porridge etc.), they'll act as an immunity booster and fasten the recovery.

You may continue taking Allegra-D for another 4-5 days...With all these, you should be feeling better within a matter of time...However, if there's persistence beyond a few days, then you should get it checked up by a physician as there may be a need to start prescription based combination antibiotics (generally, in my patients, I'd advice antibiotic Co-Amoxiclav twice daily for 5-7days)...

Let me know if I can assist you further...
Wish you good health...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee