Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

182 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I can't get into my neurologist for 2 weeks and

Answered by
Dr. Vaishalee Punj

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2231 Questions

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 in Pain Management
Question: I can't get into my neurologist for 2 weeks and I am out of my norco which I took 5-6 a day for around 10 years. I am not sure what to do. I have been told I am going to get extremely sick.
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 minutes later
I do see my doctor, but he didn't have any appointments till then. I call everyday to see if any cancellations and they haven't had any.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can visit any walk-in clinic

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If you still have a few norco left, then please half the dose every 7-10 days.

If the norco is finished, then one option is to refill it from any walk-in clinic. Take your previous records/prescriptions with you if possible. He may give the same or similar medicine to help you taper. He may also give you a stronger pain killer (non-opioid) that may be available on prescription only. Over the counter Advil or Naproxen may be helpful to some extent. A spasmolytic maybe taken for muscle spasm. Keep a track of your blood pressure regularly and take adequate rest. If your BP is consistently rising then a prescription of anti-hypertensive will also be needed e.g Clonidine. A prescription for benzodiazepines may also be needed if there is restlessness or inability to sleep. So the withdrawal must happen under medical supervision.

In case of any symptom that seems to be an emergency, please do not hesitate in visiting emergency room.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Unfortunately neither the hospital or walk in clinics will prescribe any pain medication. That is when you run out even if you bring your records and bottles. They only give you medication if you have had an injury. I am out and starting to go through withdrawal I have taken some over the counter and it is not helping. Any suggestions would be great as I am a single mom with a 14 year old daughter. I am miserable throwing up etc. Thank you so much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medicines according to symptoms are needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I am sorry for your situation.

There is no reason to go through withdrawal by yourself. Doctors are trained specifically to help with the withdrawal symptoms. So I will really suggest that you inform any local doctor or ER about your Norco withdrawal.

Withdrawal is temporary (around 1-2 weeks) but it should not hurt, especially when medical help is available. If I am not mistaken, the drug helpline in your country 1-888-633-3239. Caffeine containing formulations may help with your migraines. Unfortunately the stronger pain killers are not available over the counter.

Meanwhile take over the counter medicines for your pain and vomiting. For vomiting you can take a formulation of Ondansetron or any other available.

Take care of your self.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on