question-icon

I can feel my heartbeat while lying on left side?

Posted on Fri, 14 Mar 2014
Question: I can feel my heartbeat while lying on left side. Is this something to worry about
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: No worries except if history of heart disease. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do understand how disturbing and frustrating how this feeling could be. the good news however is this is a very common phenomenon. It is important to note if you have any past history of heart disease, any family history of heart disease, or a history of breathlessness on effort or exertion. In case you really got none of these, considering your age, 33, it would be rare that this should be a major call fr concern. It is very common, especially in slim and anxious persons to perceive their heart beats. In case of no previous heart disease or history, this is a very common phenomenon. In case you have a contributive family or personal history of heart disease or tiredness when you undertake the least effort, you can consult a cardiologist. Also, if this phenomenon is of recent unset, you can consult your cardiologist. If not, non worries. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain (2 days later)
Thank you very much for your reply. I have no history of heart disease, no one in the family as well. But I do get a little tired on little effort (rush on stairs about 30 steps). I am a bit overweight also. Do you reckon this is a cause of concern.
Brief Answer: Clinical review by cardiologist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks or the query, Even for persons not used to doing sports, it is not rare to be tired after doing such exercise like moving over 30 steps. However, I still believe you should get a reevaluation from a cardiologist. i think its important. Thanks for the update and kind regards. Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain