I believe I m fine and so does my ENT

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019 in Cancer
Question: I believe I'm fine and so does my ENT but to make certain we are going to biopsy a lymph node adjacent to the left submandibular gland. I have no other symptoms....weight loss, loss of energy, fever, cough, etc

I believe I am correct that IF the one gland was cancer albeit unlikely that it would likely be non-hodskins or lyphomoma??? Secondly, if it were from another primary sight wouldn't I most likely have other symptoms???

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Monish De 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not having lymphoma

Detailed Answer:
I've checked the attached reports...

Its right that you are going for biopsy from the swelling in your submandibular lymph gland.

But since you do not have symptoms like weight loss, fever, anorexia, bleeding, cough or pain I do not think you are having cancer like lymphoma or any other types of cancer

The swelling could just be an infection which would go away after you treat it with a week course of antibiotic after your doctor's advice

Nothing to worry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 24 minutes later
Ok dr thanks. If by some remote chance it were cancer and not primary in lymph nodes and was secondary from some other primary site what are the most likely sites and would I likely already have symptoms for that site?

Please answer and I follow up with 5 stars...thanks
Answered by Dr. Monish De 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PET CT scan

Detailed Answer:

If it was secondary then cancer might have spread or metastasized from other primary sites.

As swelling is in submandibular region commonest site of the primary, if it was cancer, are lungs, throat, oesophagus, stomach, gall bladder, pancreas and colon.

But since you are not having any symptoms nothing to worry.

Still, you can do a PET CT scan to rule out cancer and find the sites of cancer if it at all was cancer

But for now, if the biopsy is negative then no need to worry