Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I believe I have pink eye, I do daycare and

Answered by
Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2302 Questions

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I believe I have pink eye, I do daycare and few of the kids here had pink eye. My husband also has pink eye
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 2 minutes later
Wondering if you write me a prescription without having to go in??

Thanks so much,
Diane Schaub
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 7 minutes later
Just confirming you received my earlier e-mail. Haven't heard anything just wondering if I'm doing this correctly
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
looks like viral conjuctivitis,apply cold compression and artificial tear

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
Pink eye is term used for conjunctivitis that is inflamation of the outer thin layer of the eye.It may be caused by bacteria,(specially if pus or sticky eyes ) , but your case seems to be a Viral , as viral conjunctivitis is highly contageous (spreading from one to others) and hence many people do suffer at same time.
To be very honest viral conjunctivitis has no treatment , and like flue, it settles in some times without any treatment. This may take a week or sometimes up to 3 weeks.We just need to provide comfort for this time and avoid close contact with others.
Using sun glasses , Cold compression to the eyes are quite relieving , besides we can also use some artificial tears to relieve the infllamation. Most of the people dont get any serious problem and dont need anything more then this. Rarely some people get severe inflamation and may need steroids drops.You may use some antihistamines like zyretic if its too itching.

Hopes i have answered your question. please feel free to ask anything else you need to know.
Regard Dr Rahman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 47 minutes later
Thanks so much! So you don't think I need they pink eye drops? my husband did get some from his doctor and has some left over could I use those drops?

Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
As we know that there is no special drops to cure the disease , and the disease is going to be fine in few days itself, but few things may help relieve the symptoms.There are few OTC eye drops that may be used for symptoms control like artificial tears ,or some decongestant like naphazoline , These can be used. At the moment i do not know what that eye drop that you have contains ( i mean its chemical formula) but your problems seems very same to your husband, so you can use the drops. Still you can share with us the chemical formula of this drops if you want.
Please feel free to write back to us.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on