I asked you a question last week...new question below. Thanks

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sun, 3 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: I asked you a question last week...new question below. Thanks

Hello, so I had a ultrasound needle biopsy today on a lymph node in the submandibular...the node was only 10 mm which dr said was normal but I am a worrier so he ordered the biopsy.

The Dr pathologist that did the biopsy said she thought node was relatively small and she said looked okay. She did three samples...the first did not collect enough cells but the next two did....she looked at each one under microscope.
Here's my question...although of course its being sent out for study did a trained pathologist dr such as her having a pretty good idea from looking at the cells under microscope if there is any cancer? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir, thank you again for posting your query.

Sometimes,it is difficult to take biospsy from a small lymph node enlargement.So,it may take 2-3 trials for a pathologist to get the biopsy.

A pathologist is definitely trained to find out under the microscope the cause of lymph node swelling.
The cause of lymph node enlargement might be physiological/reactive/inflammation/infection/ cancer, etc.

If the pathologist finds the signs of cancer in the lymph node biopsy,then an Oncopathologist,might be more helpful for the complete evaluation.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer you if you have any other query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D