Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

I am very short temper and not able to control my anger. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
I am very short temper. Cannot control my anger. Always have the habit of putting my foot in my mouth. thereafter repenting about what i did.

I am 39 years, know my problem, yet not able to control anger, do a lot of spiritual book reading, realise my mistake but not able to overcome it. What should i do for this...I always feel bad that my past was not good, lot my father at 10 years, a brother who sexually abused me at a young age, a brother who never cared for me, my marriage was bad, my wife tried her best to screw my life, i have no kids, to find peace, i tried out abnormal stuffs, like associating with same sex partners, all relief temporary, and till now am going through a very bad patch of life...the struggles do not end..I am suffering day in day out, when i see people around me - normal, have kids and successful, i feel demotivated and bad...Can you suggest some medication to relieve me from this ordeal, can u let me atleast how to control my anger
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Thanks for the query

I do feel for you for the fact that you have been deprived emotionally from early childhood period as you described. Whoever, passes through such phases, no one else can better understand the suffering then himself

People with ongoing and too many life stressors are more likely to develop from depression / dysthymia, where, irritability, anger is a prominent symptom

In such cases medicine and psychotherapy both are essential

Among medicines, SSRI / SNRI group of drugs with anger control technique are usually of help. Drugs like fluoxetine, citalopram etc are useful.

In psychotherapy, your life will be better understood in detail and then further guidance will be suggested, if you consult a psychiatrist / clinical psychologist. The following techniques will be helpful:
a. Whenever, you feel angry, leave the place or slowly count to 10. You can even take 10 XXXXXXX breaths.
b. Promise your self that you will keep quiet when you feel angry. You will only react when you are calm later.
c. If you're troubled with a problem, identify the solutions and discuss them with the person concerned.
d. Try and get some exercise every day. 30-40 minutes of jogging will help.
e. When you feel angry, practice deep-breathing exercises, imagine a relaxing scene, or repeat a calming word.

Hopefully, this should be the beginning of the end of your suffering.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I am very short temper and not able to control my anger. Which specialist should I consult? 14 minutes later
Drugs like fluoxetine, citalopram etc are useful.

Are the above drugs issued off the counter at medical shops withou prescription.

When and how are these to be consumed..any prescription.

And when to stop them. Hope they are not addictive.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
They are not addictive and ideally they should be available for prescription. In some places, they provide without prescription

They need to be started at low dose, gradually increase the dose to therapeutic dose range ( varies from drug to drug), wait for 2 weeks to see some response, if there is a response, continue the drug

But, in your case along with medication, psychotherapy or counseling is a must to get good symptom relief. Please see a psychiatrist to get a prescription.

Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor