I am trying to quit smoking but its been really

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am trying to quit smoking but its been really hard, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I tried nicotine gums and patches but no luck
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
about nicotine replacement therapy...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concerns...

Well, being motivated is the very first step to quit smoking, and you've certainly got so, just remain motivated...

Since the Nicotine gums and patches fail to control cravings, you need to go through the proper group therapy...

It includes day to day motivation, gatherings, smoke-free environment, group discussions, meditations along with routine prescription based medications such as Varenicline and Bupropion. Please note, this is strictly prescription based medications to be taken under proper medical supervision only.

Please seek out for the nearest de-addiction centre from where they'll guide you thoroughly and day to day basis progress will be monitored accordingly.

Please note, it's not only physical carvings, but there's a huge psychological aspect also which can only be controlled and monitored once you're inside the system. The social surrounding matters a lot. Try to keep a distance from all sorts of smoking indulging people and media also.

Remember, there's no gradual way to quit smoking, you got to stop it altogether and join the group at the same time to remain in the proper loop...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee