I am trying to have a bowel movement and stool

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am trying to have a bowel movement and stool is hard and not moving I am rehabbing from hip replacement surgery 10 days ago. Have been taking oxycodone
and a stool softener/laxative. What cabin do to get this stool to come out? I am 67.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fecal impaction post surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service for your query,
Use Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution to empty the colon.You are having post surgical impaction of stools. In which hardened stool is stuck in colon.PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon. Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (PEG-ES) comes as a powder to mix with water and take by mouth.You have to drink one 8 ounce of PEG-ES every 10 or 15 minutes, and to continue drinking until your liquid bowel movements are clear.It will clear your bowel.

In case if it also does not help go for Digital evacuation.It involves the use of fingers to aid in the removal of stool from the rectum.Stool is emptied by gently inserting a finger into the rectum and removing it.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 50 minutes later
Thank you. I appreciate the help.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
You welcome,
Hope I was helpful,
Do rate the answer.
Thanks!