Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

I am suffering from piles. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14810 Questions
I am suffering from piles
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Piles or hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the anal canal. They can swell either inside the anus or swell near the opening of the anus.

They can be caused by constipation, diarrhoea which can also place increased pressure on the anus, inadequate fiber in the diet, excess weight.

Hemorrhoids can be associated with anal itching, pain, bleeding, mucous discharge.

Treatment involves a high fiber diet- daily fruits and vegetables ( try to get at least 5 servings of fruit or vegetables a day). In addition you should use wheat or XXXXXXX products. Some persons also fiber supplements.
To prevent further aggravation of the piles you should wipe extremely gently after using the toilet, use wet wipes or damp toilet tissue.
Drink alot of water
Avoid prolonged sitting or standing, consider using a cushion if sitting for a long period of time.
Use warm salt water or plain warm water sitz baths, sit in the bath for 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.Some persons use witch XXXXXXX and other herbal medication in the sitz baths.
You can also consider using pain medication ( anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam)
Some persons use topical steroids cream and hemorrhoidal cream. They may work for you, they do not work for everyone.

In some cases that do not respond to the above surgery is an option.

I hope this information is helpful to you , feel free to ask any additional questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor