I am starting my 86 year old wife who is

Question
I am starting my 86 year old wife who is in a late stage AHD condition on Keppra to alleviate occasional seizures. I have been given 500 mg tablets and recommended a twice a day dosage, MY MD has authorized me to crush each tablet and administer in apple sauce. I would like to know if I can start with a smaller daily dose (1 tablet) and work into a full dosage (2 tablets per day) after my wife has adapted to the lower level. Is Kappra a medication that must build up to a certain level in your system or can we stay at the lower daily dosage level and still get effective protection.

Thanks
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Do NOT lower the dose below 500mg twice daily. Follow the instructions the doctor gave you. Giving a dose lower than 500mg twice daily could result in seizures as the dose would be too low.

Dr. Sheppe