I am postmenopausal and I have: hot flashes, thinning eyebrows,

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Women's Health
Question: I am postmenopausal and I have: hot flashes, thinning eyebrows, thinning hair, weight gain, painful pimple(s), fatigue. I know these are fairly common post menopausal symptoms, and I was wondering if there is any medication or supplements that I should be taking.
I am currently taking medication: lipator, levothroxine, Venafaxine, losartan, metoprolol.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About menopause treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.

Having taken consideration of your age, I suppose you are at least ten years in menopause and if the symptoms persist since that period, yes they may be attributed to menopause. if they are recently installed, another cause should be tried to find out.

The hormonal replacement therapy for menopause is the most efficient one and usually, we recommend it for the first 5 years of menopause. Starting it now may cause serious side effects.
You mentioned also that you are taking levothyroxine.

If you didn't check the TSH recently, I would suggest to do it, as your symptoms may be due to thyroid hormonal imbalance.

Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee