question-icon

I am post menopausal and I had some light vaginal

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2019
Question: I am post menopausal and I had some light vaginal bleeding yesterday. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Can be due to vaginal atrophy.

Detailed Answer:
Post menopausal bleeding is a common problem however the most common cause is a problem with the endometrial lining of the uterus.
The other causes can be divided into gyneacological and non gynaecological. The most common gynaecological causes would be vaginal atrophy or dryness or problems related to the cervix.
The vaginal dryness would respond to topical estrogen replacement creams and a pap smear would be able to assess the state of the cervix to determine if there are any problems with it.
You should consider visiting your doctor for an assessment which may include comprehensive imaging and blood investigations (full blood count, ESR (checks for inflammation), kidney blood tests such as creatinine. CEA)
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN