I am on Metoprolol HCT 25 mg. My son has

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 in General Health
Question: I am on Metoprolol HCT 25 mg. My son has been having high BP and has been undergoing alot of testing for a new job. He must pass 100%. His final test is tomorrow. A stress test and ECG. He took 1/4 of my BP pill 3 hours ago and although his HR is down his BP is way up. Will he be okay tomorrow? What are your suggestions? The following info is about my son.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No cause for worry

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. 1/4 of the Metoprolol pill is too small a dose to have any kind of effect. If this is the first time he is experiencing high blood pressure, I would not worry, as it is clear it is caused by anxiety. I recommend he takes a full tablet before bed so he can have a good night’s sleep before the testing. This will help him be more calm and do well in the tests.
If the high blood pressure starts becoming a common occurrence I recommend he sees a doctor for further investigation.

I wish him success in the new job.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T