I am not able to sustain an erection for a

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Sexual Health
Question: I am not able to sustain an erection for a long time (just few minutes). Also sometimes it is very difficult to get an erection, or if it happens it is not strong enough for intercourse to be possible.
I wanted to know if there are any changes in diet I can do or I should go for any medications. Also, is it a good idea to go for IVF to get pregnant, or we have to try that as last resort. (We have been trying for 3-4 months now).

I have tried doing some kegel exercises but there is little improvement I feel.
My general medical tests report is attached in the profile.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please attach the reports again as they are not available

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

There are lot of options for the treatment of premature ejaculation including behavioral interventions (kegel exercise) and medications. When one stream of intervention does not help than the combination of both can be used.

There are little options for diet but diet with high tryptophan can be of some help. For this purpose 5HTP can be used although using medications is better option. Dapoxetine is one option which can be used on need basis. It becomes effective within 90 minutes of use and remains effective for next 6 hours.

IVF is the last resort and 3-4 months trial is not enough to decide for or against IVF.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
I also request you to attach the report.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 59 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for the response.

I will try the suggested medications (I assume 5HTP & Dapoxetine are the medication tablets).
Also, do let me know if there are any particular diet I should follow (Including avoiding any particular items). I will follow that along with medications. I understand I have to try items with high tryptophan (I found on internet that chocolate, oats, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese contain high tryptophan).

I have also attached the latest report now. Please note that the BMI mentioned in the report is not correct (My height is 175cm and not 165cm as captured in the report). Also, the test was performed after having breakfast and not with empty stomach.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 36 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I have also been having constipation problem from past 20 years. Not sure if that affects and any suggestions with that will help.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

I have seen the attached reports and of the opinion that there is lot to be done on your part. Unfortunately all common life style diseases (Hypertension, Diabetes and Hypercholestrolemia) are appearing at the early stage and considering your age I feel there is need to improve diet and physical exercise.

I understand that your BMI is much less than the maximum level but the applicable criteria are very different for Indians such as maximum recommended BMI is 23 for Indians in compare to 25 for our western counterparts.

Regarding the diet you need to follow the healthy diet which includes right combination of all essential nutrients. Unfortunately there is no diet which can cure your condition completely as every diet rich in some aspect is deficient in other aspects. It is important to add variety rather than eating one or another thing excessively.

Presence of constipation again indicates toward poor eating habits like less fiber, inadequate fluid intake, lack of exercise among others.

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad