Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

125 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I am healthy 42 years old female. Had yearly blood

Answered by
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 6903 Questions

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am healthy 42 years old female. Had yearly blood work done last week. Everything else came back normal except my DheaS and testosteron levels came back high. DheaS(14.4 umol/L) and Testosteron(2.1 nmol/L) Met with doctor yesterday who said it is OK and not to worry but i want to have second opinion
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Raised DheaS confirms PCOS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Erumtx,
Thanks for asking. I understand your concern... &would try to explain the thing .
DHEA is a hormone secreted by adrenal gland & is mother hormone for androgen ((testesterone-Male sex hormone ) or estrogen (female sex hormone).It circulates in body through out life to make sex hormones.
DheaS is the version of hormone for making testesterone..&it's raised level suggests PCOS. in females. This test is done in PCOS to differentiate it from other conditions with similar symptoms like- Adrenal tumor /thyroid problems/type 2 diabetis(insulin resistance)....these conditions need totally different management &so needed to be excluded before treating PCOS.
Your raised levels of DheaS &testosterone have confirmed you to be suffering from you need not worry a out the raised levels... your treatment would be for PCOS.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
In case you don't have any follow up query...please grade the answer before you close the query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 12 minutes later
Thank you Dr. I really like the way you explain it to me. My periods are always normal and i ovulate every month but unable to conceive.
Should i ask my Dr to give me medication for hormonal balance?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, your doctor would offer specific treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Erumtx,
Thank you for the feed back & follow up query.
Yes, the treating gynecologist /endocrinologist/sterility specialist would advise for hormonal assessment &ovulation study to see the type of hormonal imbalance you have which can hamper proper maturation of ova causing difficulty in conception.... and get it specifically treated/supplemented with hormones at exact time of menstrual cycle.
At the same time quality of semen must be within normal limits for successful conception... if needful investigations &medication of Male sex partner becomes important.
Similarly, knowing exact ovulation time(by LH testing) & having unprotected sex within 36 hours of ovulation is to be undertaken.
I hope this helps you. Any follow up study is welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on