I am healthy 42 years old female. Had yearly blood
Raised DheaS confirms PCOS.
Thanks for asking. I understand your concern... &would try to explain the thing .
DHEA is a hormone secreted by adrenal gland & is mother hormone for androgen ((testesterone-Male sex hormone ) or estrogen (female sex hormone).It circulates in body through out life to make sex hormones.
DheaS is the version of hormone for making testesterone..&it's raised level suggests PCOS. in females. This test is done in PCOS to differentiate it from other conditions with similar symptoms like- Adrenal tumor /thyroid problems/type 2 diabetis(insulin resistance)....these conditions need totally different management &so needed to be excluded before treating PCOS.
Your raised levels of DheaS &testosterone have confirmed you to be suffering from PCOS....so you need not worry a out the raised levels... your treatment would be for PCOS.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
In case you don't have any follow up query...please grade the answer before you close the query.
Should i ask my Dr to give me medication for hormonal balance?
Yes, your doctor would offer specific treatment.
Thank you for the feed back & follow up query.
Yes, the treating gynecologist /endocrinologist/sterility specialist would advise for hormonal assessment &ovulation study to see the type of hormonal imbalance you have which can hamper proper maturation of ova causing difficulty in conception.... and get it specifically treated/supplemented with hormones at exact time of menstrual cycle.
At the same time quality of semen must be within normal limits for successful conception... if needful investigations &medication of Male sex partner becomes important.
Similarly, knowing exact ovulation time(by LH testing) & having unprotected sex within 36 hours of ovulation is to be undertaken.
I hope this helps you. Any follow up study is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?