question-icon

I am having oral surgery ( tooth surgically removed) in

Posted on Sun, 31 Mar 2019
Question: I am having oral surgery ( tooth surgically removed) in 3 1/2 days. I take Advil 200 mg daily and Eliquis 10 mg daily... and Diltiazem 180 mg daily and Flecainide 200 mg daily.
When do I stop the Advil and Eliquis???
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No need to stop advil and consult GP for stopping Eliquis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Advil is a normal pain killer having ibuprofen, so you can continue it if you are having pain. Advil can not be taken in asthma, renal failure, heart failure and gastric ulcers but if you don’t have any of these conditions then you can continue with it.
Regarding Eliquis, its a blood thinner which might cause a difficulty in clotting after extraction. You need to get your INR done and if its under control, means less than 4, then no need to stop it and your dentist will be able to control bleeding with resorbable packs and sutures. If your INR is high then consult your GP but don’t cease any medication without consulting your GP.
Moreover update your dentist regarding your medications. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist