question-icon

I am having a period of atrial fibrillation and suffering

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2019
Question: I am having a period of atrial fibrillation and suffering from a very stubborn 5 days of constipation
with a blotting sensation.The pharmacist recommended "magnesium citrate oral solution" (5 (oz)
and I don't know if it is safe to take it with this ongoing afib. Also if you have a recommendation for something safer. This will be a one time question, not a monthly subscription. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that it is safe to take Magnesium citrate oral solution while having atril fibrillation.

You should also know that magnesium can help reduce tachycardia.

So, it is OK to take it for constipation in your clinical condition.

Anyway, another supplement for constipation, which has no effects on the body is psyllium. It is not absorbed by the gut and it just helps increase the water in the gut and thus reduce constipation.

I hope to have been helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist