I am having a lot of pain in the top

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 in Lump
Question: I am having a lot of pain in the top of my coccyx area. There is a painful lump and it is red
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue painkiller and heat therapy...

Detailed Answer:

I went through the details. Based on your description, it seems like an inflammation or pilonidal cyst / abscess. It occurs due to infection of structures under the skin - hair follicles / glands. I would suggest to continue pain medications and moist heat application. Topical antiseptic creams like neosporin can be used to control infection. Oral antibiotic - amoxicillin + clavulanate should be started. Oral antibiotic is a prescription drug; contact your local care provider. But if the lump is large, it should be drained.

In other words, this seems to be localised infection. It can be treated with pain medications; but a prescription drug - antibiotic will be more effective. Further large lumps will need incision and drainage. Therefore it would be worthwhile to visit your primary doctor.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.