I am experiencing tingling on the left side of my

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am experiencing tingling on the left side of my face and some balance issues,

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If no other symptoms usually benign.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Naturally, the main concern, when there are balance issues combined with sensation changes, is that of a brain lesion like stroke, tumour, infections etc.

However in such cases, it is unlikely for these symptoms to be the only manifestation, usually in brain lesions in balance areas there are other manifestations such as headaches, vomiting, double vision, vision loss, movement coordination difficulties, weakness of the face or limb muscles etc.

Sensation changes also usually in the form of loss of sensation not abnormal sensations such as tingling. So in the absence of such symptoms, there is no reason for alarm.

What could it actually be... first I would check for blood pressure issues. Then I would consider some routine blood test to screen for infections, diabetes, liver and kidney function as well as electrolyte abnormalities which can cause such symptoms. Only if these result normal and symptoms persist for over a few weeks would I consider brain imaging to exclude completely brain lesions. Of course, if new symptoms appear then it may be needed earlier.

From everyday practice, many patients turn out normal tests and commonly it is related to stress.

Let me know if you have other questions or if new symptoms appear.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee