I am experiencing facial swelling: lips, chin, cheeks. This happened

Question
I am experiencing facial swelling: lips, chin, cheeks. This happened a few years ago. Then it was attributed to ibuprofens. Haven’t taken any since. This time? Don’t know. Would an antihistamine like benetril help?
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
benadryl can be used to help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, benadryl should help. There are also non drowsy options such as zyrtec, claritine, allergra but these may not be as readily available as the benadryl.

If there is any swelling of your tongue, you should be seen since this can potentially block the airway and affect breathing.

If possible need to try the recall any new creams or lotions or foods or medications that you may have used that may have precipitated this reaction.

There is a type of medication used for high blood pressure or also used for some types of heart disease that can sometimes cause this type of swelling eg enalapril, ramipril, lisinopril etc

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: I am experiencing facial swelling: lips, chin, cheeks. This happened 37 minutes later
Thanks. Yesterday afternoon we ate some fancy salmon-salad spread that had a lot of unusual ingredients. ??? I’ve Started taking Benadryl. Don’t take blood pressure medicine or heart medicine. Hope the Benadryl kicks in soon.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be taken 25 to 50 every 6 to 8 hours

Detailed Answer:
HI

For an allergic reaction, 25 to 50 mg can be taken every 6 to 8 hours, not going over 300 mg in a day.

I hope its works for you

Follow-up: I am experiencing facial swelling: lips, chin, cheeks. This happened 22 hours later
I’ve used Benadryl mostly as directed (5 caps, not 6) past 24 hours. Facial swelling improved, but jowls still swollen. Should I continue with Benadryl today or switch to Claritin, whose directions call for 1 tablet over 24 hours?

Have since learned the salmon salad spread was made with raw salmon.

Brief Answer:
if too drowsy with the benadryl, then you can switch

Detailed Answer:
HI

If the benadryl is making you too drowsy then you can switch to claritin , if there are no problem side effects then you can continue the benadryl.

The older antihistamines such as benadryl tend to work a little better for allergic reactions in some persons.

Follow-up: I am experiencing facial swelling: lips, chin, cheeks. This happened 33 minutes later
Thanks for the timely response. Drowsiness has not been a problem. I’m sticking with Benadryl.
This service is most helpful!
XXXXXXX Brubeck

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hope you continue to do well

Detailed Answer:
great, hope you continue to improve

Can let me know if there are any other queries