I am experience some mild pain around my heart and

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am experience some mild pain around my heart and in the upper left shoulder blade. I had this synonym one night last week and lasted for about 3 hrs and again last night it started around 7pm and lasted until 2am. Today when I got up it started again and I am still having the mild pain. I have been doing a lot of interior house painting the last two weeks. Could it be muscle spasm?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to a musculo-skeletal pain.

I would like to know if the pain is triggered by deep breathing or shoulder movements. This would be indicative of a musculo-skeletal pain. In such case acetaminophen or ibuprofen would help reduce the pain.

But, if the pain is not triggered by shoulder movements, I would recommend going to the ER for a physical exam, a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need.

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 hours later
For the last two nights laying in bed was uncomfortable so I sat in a recliner chair without movement and the pain went away so I went back to the bed and continued to remain still but when I got up in the morning the discomfort started again in my shoulder blade area with very little pain. What are your thoughts? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

It seems to be a musculoskeletal pain as it is modulated by certain body positions.

So, in my opinion there is nothing to worry about!

I would just recommend having some rest, avoiding weight lifting and take Tylenol or Ibuprofen for the pain.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj