Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I am concerned about I been trying to get pregnant

Answered by
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1265 Questions

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: I am concerned about I been trying to get pregnant this month will be 6 months. I have 4 children with my ex husband I am actively trying but with my new partner for my last pregnancy. Each month I have different symptoms which lead me to think I m pregnant but I get my period. I am 32 years old my boyfriend is 38. I am a very fertile person up until know that I haven't conceived. Today I am supposed to be getting my period but I haven't, I been feeling dizzy cramps discomfort in the lower left uncomfortable breast.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

If your periods do not come in the next couple of days you might have a urinary pregnancy test. Generally it is good to give a couple of days before having the tests as sometimes if it is too early it comes out negative. If it is negative and periods are not coming then repeat the pregnancy test in 3-4 days to increase its accuracy.

Normally 90% of couples conceive within 12 months of regular unprotected intercourse, generally no tests are recommended before this period in women under 35 years of age. In women over 35 years of age examinations are recommended if they don't conceive within 6 months of regular unprotected intercourse.

In your case you are still not considered infertile as it should take 12 months of trying to get pregnant before considering this diagnosis.
On the other hand the most common cause of infertility is due to sexually transmitted infections (STD). Because of the history of having a new partner it might be advisable for you to have cervical samples (taken with a gynecological examination) to test for chlamydia and gonorrhea because many of the women having these infections do not have any symptoms but present with infertility. If the tests are positive both you and your partner needs to be treated and retested after treatment to make sure it is cured. If the tests come out normal and you are having regular periods (every month, delay with few days is ok) then you can just wait another 6 months and very likely you will conceive in this time.

If no conception in a total of 12 months examinations may need to be started. Semen analysis (examination of the sperm of the partner can be done) and also if your periods are not regular some blood tests like TSH, prolactine, Estrogens, FSH can be done and also an examination of the uterus and tubes with hysterosalpingogramme.

To conclude:
- a woman under 35 years of age is diagnosed with infertility only if she has been trying for 12 months to conceive, so you are not considered infertile and statistically you very likely will conceive within the next 6 months
- in your case due to a new partner it might be advisable to rule out infections that might contribute to infertility (chlamydia and gonorrhea) as most of the times they don't cause any symptoms but problems with fertility and timely diagnosis and treatment is crucial to preserve fertility

I hope I have answered to your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care.

Kind regards,
Antoneta Zotaj,General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on