Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

I am circumcised. Feeling discomfort while erection. How to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I am based in the UK. I was circumcised as a child and although the procedure was successful in overcoming my phimosis it left me with an unsightly skin bridge from my shaft to the glans for many years. As an adult this has recently broken, leaving the area looking more 'normal' around the circumcised area. However, I still have what I believe to be an unremoved stitch (or possibly a fat nodule?) just underneath the skin of my penis, where the doctor was unable to extract it properly some weeks after the operation. It's hard when pressed on and from the surface just looks like a small bump on the underside of my penis. Causes me a little discomfort, especially when I get erections. Mainly I am worried that it will interfere with enjoyment of sex at some point (I am not currently sexually active). I wanted to know how likely it is I could get it removed and what would be involved in the procedure? There seems to be very little information out there, so I feel a bit stranded with the problem. I really would like it sorted out after so long, but am (like most guys) quite nervous about having this part of my body treated in any way.

Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I understand your worry.
Your description is very understandable.
This is most probably a reaction of the body to the retained suture material as the tissue thickens around it.
You can either get it removed now or later, when it interferes with sex.
Either way it is only a minor procedure and can go home the same day.
After the procedure, sex needs to avoided for about 3 weeks.
I understand your concern of getting operated in THAT area, but it is a straight forward procedure and there is little to worry.
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I am circumcised. Feeling discomfort while erection. How to get cured? 15 hours later

Thanks for your reply. I think my preference would be to have it removed sooner rather than later, so that it does not become an issue when I am in a relationship. I know you have not seen the area but can you detail what would be involved please? I am imagining a local numbing agent/anesthetic would be used? How much of an incision would be involved? Literally this thing is like a tiny pebble a few millimeters under the skin. I saw my doctor today who agreed that it was a minor procedure and has referred me to a urologist to have an ultrasound done to make sure it is indeed a retained suture.


Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later

It is usually done after applying or injecting a local anesthetic agent, as u rightly thought.
The incision will be hardly noticeable. If it is stuck and difficult to remove, the incision may be a little bigger and it will be sutured if necessary.
The suture materials are better these days and healing is better (than many years ago).
Overall, there is nothing much to worry about.
Hope this helps. Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor