I am c/o bloating . Pain in upper GI that

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am c/o bloating. Pain in upper GI that radiates to back. There are times that I have discomfort on L side of stomach area.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Improper digestion of food possibly

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service for your query.
I have reviewed your query.

Bloating is caused as a result of the formation of excessive gas in the intestine. Usually, this gas is a result of fermentation of food in the large intestine. This produces colonies of harmful bacterias and toxic gases which presses the intestines hence causing pain. This pain may radiate to back also. As pain involves left side it could be diverticulitis also. An ultrasound needs to be done for that.

Some investigations suggested are:

Blood tests, stool culture sensitivity analysis and ultrasound of the abdomen to confirm the diagnosis...Treatment can be done accordingly to resolve the problem.

Meanwhile,

-Start taking a walk after meals.
-Take small portions of food every 2 hours.
-Avoid heavy and large fatty meals.

-You should also limit the intake of fizzy drinks, chewing gums and smoking (if at all do)
-You can take Simethicone or activated charcoal pills as they help in reducing intestinal gas.

-Please drink sufficient water.
-Chew your food slowly and properly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee